View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 04:58 PM   #29
lee n. field

Quote:
I wonder. What makes the Ram Prime slower than a hand primer? I have never used one, but just looking at it, it seems (once installed) that it would be exactly the same number of hand movements (though the operating lever does travel several times further with the ram prime than the two inches or so the hand primer requires). Other than that, it does not seem things would be slower.
I have used both. I started with a Lyman ram prime die, because that's what the store had when I started accumulating handloading tools.

What makes the ram prime die slower is having to handle each and every primer. With a hand priming tool, you fill the tray, and don't handle primers after that.

In my experience, you can get reasonably fast with a ram prime die, if you lay out the consumables well and get into the rhythm. But, a hand prime tool is still faster.

Quote:
I use the Lee Classic Turret press with the Safety Prime. I like the idea of only one primer being in the area of actual compression.
The Lee Ergo Prime works the same way. A primer gets picked out of the crowd, pushed up a little elevator thing before dropping into the recess in the shell holder.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; December 31, 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.03562 seconds with 8 queries