View Single Post
Old October 20, 2013, 09:50 AM   #58
Seaman

The simplest way to tell if an S&W ILS is working properly is to note the position of the flag, if it is up the gun is 'locked.' If the gun is not working and the flag is in the down position, the problem is very likely something else. Please note that on the traditional Bodyguard model the lock flag cannot be seen because it is screened by the humpback frame.

If the lock flag comes up (fully or partially) during normal operation the gun should be sent back to S&W for repairs.

The ILS is comprised of 6 moving parts: key, 3 internal metal parts and 2 internal springs. With the side-plate off, it is interesting to watch the the movement. Over-engineered Rube Goldberg. The reason you don't read criticism about Springfield Armory, Taurus, and Walther is they have better lock designs.

Also note that without the side-plate off, it can be difficult to diagnose a problem, and users are advised not to remove the side-plate, done incorrectly damage can result.

I have 6 S&W revolvers with the ILS. 5 have been completely removed. All the lock components look the same, but I have not put them to a micrometer. Since one of my S&Ws is a range/practice gun, the lock is still that one.

Page generated in 0.03192 seconds with 8 queries