View Single Post
Old August 6, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2
BlueTrain

Fifty years ago when those revolvers were being advertised in gun magazines, it was common to see them modified with nickle-plating, cut down barrels and different stocks. I don't think S&W had ever made a k-frame with a three-inch or 3 1/2-inch barrel through WWII (which doesn't mean they didn't), so chances are, the barrel was been cut and the front sight moved. The originals were all five-inch barrels. The ones that had the barrels cut even shorter were missing the front latch. Fake stag stocks were also popular during that period on these reworked revolvers. I believe the original stocks were smooth.

Some of those Victory model revolvers and earlier ones before switching to a wartime finish were well traveled and came home covered in marking.

I don't recall any other handgun that was so obviously modified in advertisments in those pre-1968 days as S&W K-frames but there was never any mention that they had been re-worked. They would have been pictured in an advertisment along with New Service revolvers, large and small frame Webleys, Enfield revolvers, 45 autos, and all sorts of other handguns, hardly any more than $40 and most closer to $20.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03093 seconds with 8 queries