View Single Post
Old August 24, 2005, 08:20 PM   #23
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I was issued a 686 that had been used for a few years before I got it. We qualified about 6 times a year used the .357 ammo. We also shot tons of wad cutter each trip to the range. Were encouraged to shoot it on our own time too...well I did shoot it alot with all kinds of reloads. We never had many problems as I recall. I think the ejection rod came loose on mine one time and that is an easy repair if you have the tool. I really liked that gun and I am surprised to see that so many here have voted for it. I don't remember which version I had, it was old. I didn't know there were so many versions availible in the 686!
I had the option to purchase my issued weapon when I retired as they were switching over to semi autos at the same time. The gun company that did the whole department exchange deal only wanted 430 bucks for a well used 686. I decided my memory was good enough and didn't need to buy it for a keepsake at that price.

Bastarrrds!

Great gun and IMO, they look very impresive when you draw and point them. Reminds a little of a Python. The Colt Pythons are great guns too but I would take the 686 for about third or more less in price.

And someone said above, ...... If Rugers, I don't believe you would go wrong to choose a 4 inch Speed Six, Security Six or a GP 100.

Bringing back memories now...I have a speed 6 ? ... or a security 6 ? but can't remember which one? It's a nice piece too,. I did a spring kit and some stone work to the trigger but still liked the 686 much better!

There are plenty of choices here and they are mostly S&W. Can't go wrong with any of them IMO. Look at them all, and buy just as many as your wife will allow!!!

Nice thread, great reading!

Page generated in 0.04276 seconds with 8 queries