View Single Post
Old September 27, 2013, 10:18 PM   #48
weldonjr2001

I've had three dud factory centerfire handgun rounds over the years. A third tier brand .357 magnum round, and two .40 S&W rounds from a lot of 500 by a big name brand, but purchased online. I'm guessing the lot was rejected by some law en forcement agency due to said malfunctions.

Anyway, the revolver round obviously had second strike capability, the next chamber.

Neither of the .40 rounds detonated on repeated tries, so they were duds, pure and simple.

So, in my experience, second strike ability is just about meaningless, maybe even dangerous, as it may have you wasting time trying that next double-action pull instead of getting on with the ejection of the bad round and chambering of the next.

That said, I have never given that aspect of a firearm even a second's thought. I have about equal SA/DA types, SA only, and DA only. The misfires have been so rare over the years, three out of at least a hundred thousand, that it's just not something I think about much.

During my reloading days, I probably only reloaded 5000 rounds of handgun ammo, and had 5 duds out of those due to missing putting powder in one row of five cases.

So the major ammo makers are batting much higher an average than me.

My duds were experienced at the range. In all honesty, I don't know how I'd react if I had a dud when I really needed a round to work. Hopefully I won't waste time on the dud round, and will immediately start trying to get the next one chambered, regardless of whether I have second strike capabilty or not.

Page generated in 0.02239 seconds with 8 queries