View Single Post
Old October 23, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
valleyforge.1777

I have the same question about loading 38 special brass to higher-than-38+P levels, to be fired exclusively in a 357/38 lever rifle. I know I can buy 357 Mag cases, but I've got way too many pounds and pounds of 38 Special cases in buckets down in the basement to just let them sit there forever waiting for the earth to come up and reclaim the metals through the basement floor. But, I want something more powerful than just 38 Special or 38+P to shoot out of my 357 lever rifle.

Actually, what I specifically want is to have the rifle scope sighted in at 100 yards with standard 357 Magnums, and not have to adjust the scope at all to have it sighted in at 50 yards with my "extra hot 38's". I was planning to start working upwards from the 38 upper end loads, work through the 38+P loads, and keep going upwards in powder charge towards magnum load levels as I check for pressure signs and point of impact at 50 yards. I can stop when I get the point of aim=point of impact at 50 with my hot 38's and still the scope is sighted point of aim=point of impact at 100 with the 357's. Bottom line is this: Are pressure signs reliable enough to tell me when I better stop? Anyway, if I can make this work, my next project will be to replicate this with 44 Specials, loaded hot to be point of aim=point of impact at 50 yards with a 44 Mag/44 Spcl lever rifle with the scope sighted in point of aim=point of impact at 100 yards with standard 44 Mag loads.

By the way, please spare me the diatribes about how awful it is to have a scope on a lever rifle. I know, I know, but I can't see the target without the scope, so leave me alone, kindly, about the scope...

Page generated in 0.03811 seconds with 8 queries