View Single Post
Old January 25, 2009, 04:50 PM   #17
17HMR_Master

Ejector Lifter Spring!!!

A few years ago, I received a Marlin Model 60 as a birthday gift from my Dad.
I brought it with me to Texas from Michigan on a two week vacation. I fired maybe 50 rounds out of the gun, while sighting it in and hunting rabbit down in Texas. It worked fine for 2 weeks, but after I got it back to Michigan it started jamming the next time I used it. It did what has been mentioned in this thread previously. After firing the gun once, the spent shell casing won't eject while the extractor pin tries to push the next round up.
I disassembled the gun and found that the extractor spring had a fracture in it. This weakened the spring, lacking the tension to properly eject the spent shell casing before the next round could be chambered. Marlin Model 60s are a cheap low-end rifle, that had better craftsmanship back in the day.
I believe that Marlin is now cutting corners, and using lower quality parts, including a cheap ass extractor spring made of low grade spring steel. Your spring may not be broken or fractured, but I bet it has easily weakened just after short term use. I have seen replacement springs for the Model 60 floating around the internet on gun part retailer sites. Ejector Lifter Spring
You should be able to purchase a spring for under $15 including shipping. Good Luck!

I needed a low caliber varmint rifle recently, so I thought about fixing the Marlin. I changed my mind after digging into the gun again and realizing how cheap it really is.
I went out and bought a Savage 17 HMR Model 93R17-FV bolt action.
It makes any Marlin rimfire rifle seem like dumpster food to me. I will never waste my time or money on a Marlin rifle ever again.

Page generated in 0.03821 seconds with 8 queries