View Single Post
Old June 7, 2014, 01:22 PM   #16
blfuller

Quote:
Trying to mount optics on a M1A or Polytech is a frustrating experience. Assuming you can find a mount that stays put, the scope is placed quite high above the bore axis. This results in a poor cheek weld, unless you strap a leather pad on the stock.
Stubbicat,
I guess I was lucky on the mount on my M1A as the ARMS that I used went on and never loosened. The Springfield aluminum mounts were not very good. The Sadlak and Smith Enterprises mounts are very good, assuming your mounting location is in spec. Sadlak has a nice tutorial on how to determine if it is in spec or not.

As far a cheek weld you pretty much need a cheek piece that you strap on to your buttstock. There's kydex and nylon versions available that work well...

A newer mount from M14CA looks to fix the high cheek weld and looks pretty promising, the only drawback is the rear sight is removed but it has a built-in rear backup sight. The extended version is shown, a standard length is also available.

The HK needs help as well for a cheek weld and a MSG90 stock is a little spendy but this works well too...

Page generated in 0.02273 seconds with 8 queries