View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
wpsdlrg

"New" or "unique" sight designs are not for everyone. They are NOT a gimmick - as long as they work. A ghost ring or aperture sight does NOT need to be close to the eye to work. It works the SAME whether close to your eye or farther away. Your vision still works to centre the front post or dot, etc. in the aperture.

In fact, I have a fairly unique system in use, on my rifle....which I developed myself. I use an aperture - but the aperture is placed at the MUZZLE (the front sight position). The REAR sight is a half-aperture, that is, a U-notch - which is sized to visually "fit" the size of the front aperture. To use, I simply centre the front aperture over the target, then line up the rear U-notch so that it coincides with the lower half of the front aperture. Very quick and easy - and my eye works to centre the TARGET in the aperture. The advantage is that nothing subtends the target - no front post to cover the target - so I get a clear view of the target at all times. Further, instead of focusing my vision on the front sight, I focus my vision on the TARGET. It WORKS - and it works WELL.

But, this system may not be for everyone. Frankly, when I have reason to explain it to people, most behave as if I have three heads. "That can't possibly work", they say - But it DOES !

With this system, I can shoot 2" groups @ 100 yards, with ease, from a rest. I used to be able to do better - often 1" or so - but 52 year old eyes and progressive lenses now make that difficult. Also, it is not necessary to use a nice round target face for these sights to work. Your eye/ brain will naturally centre whatever point of aim you use, in the aperture. I've taken a number of whitetail deer with this very system....and not one of them complained that my sights didn't work ! Because I had an unrestricted view of the target - and given that I have trained myself to shoot with BOTH eyes open - I have NO difficulty in lining up just behind the shoulder joint - even though the side of a deer seems a featureless expanse on which to aim. It was no problem to visually centre the sights vertically, between the top of the back and the bottom edge of the chest.

The point of all this being that, there are multiple possibilities for sight systems, which might work best for a given individual, but not for another. Something might SEEM like a "gimmick" - but the only REAL proof is in the shooting.

Page generated in 0.04167 seconds with 8 queries