View Single Post
Old June 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #15
thallub

Quote:
Actually, no one ever withdrew any M1903 rifles from service.
OK: Perhaps "removed from service" is a better term.

IMO: The piece by Dr. Lyons is much better than anything that has ever been written about low numbered M1903 rifles.

The big safety problem with the M1903 rifle is the coned breech: i can't understand why the designers of the rifle did not copy the M1898 Mauser breeching system.

The original model 70 Winchester and the M1917 Enfield rifle also have the coned breech. A case head separation in a coned breech rifle can be a serious event.

i was present on the private weapons range at Ft. Sill when a shooter had a case head separate in his beautiful pre-64 model 70. I'm left handed: The other shooter was about three feet to the left of me when the kaboom happened.

The receiver of the rifle split along the top center line leaving the barrel loose, the stock was blown in two at the magazine, the magazine follower, spring and floor plate were blown out of action. The shooter looked like he had been shot with .22 birdshot in the face. He was wearing quality shooting glasses. Luckily, he was not seriously injured.

I have since seen a model 1917 Enfield and another model 70 rifle that were destroyed by case head separations.

Last edited by thallub; June 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.03168 seconds with 8 queries