View Single Post
Old May 6, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
carguychris

Don't be such a grumbler. Look at the positive side. If you can learn to shoot a Nagant well, you will be able to shoot any DA revolver well.

Try doing lots of dry firing, and get one of those little squeezable hand exercise balls to make your fingers stronger.

OTOH I'll be the first to admit that the Nagant 1895 isn't the greatest service handgun ever devised, but keep in mind that in the era when it was adopted, a handgun was mostly a badge of rank for an officer. Its function was not so much as a fighting tool but as a tool to enforce discipline (eg. to shoot conscripts who didn't follow orders). The Russians were by no means alone in this regards; it was par for the course in European armies at the time.

Furthermore, many military leaders in the late 19th century already sensed that the writing was on the wall for the primary combat users of one-handed guns- the cavalry. (The horse-riding kind, not the tank-driving or helicopter-flying kind.) Machine guns were about to make cavalry obsolete as a primary frontline fighting force, although they would persist for a while as scouts and raiders.

If a handgun is primarily meant as a short-range tool for limited use to enforce discipline, why bother making it easy to shoot at long range?

On a related note, IMHO the Nagant is also pretty unworthy compared to the gun it replaced... the single-action top-break Smith & Wesson Model No. 3 .44 Russian. I'd love to have me one of those.

Page generated in 0.06890 seconds with 8 queries