View Single Post
Old June 21, 1999, 04:58 PM   #2
Hal

What you are after is the old Rossi Coach gun from 15 to 25 years ago. Modern steel, not twist barrels. Prices on the nicer ones are in the $300.00-$350.00 range in 12 or 20 guage, $600.00 to $650.00 in as NIB condition. These are the asking prices here in Northeast Ohio. I wanted one back in the '70's and put off buying it until 3 years ago. When I saw the prices my desire ended real quick. I bought a Stoeger SXS box lock with 18 1/2 barrels for $250.00. I'm glad I did't get the Rossi. IMHO the SXS short barrel isn't much use for anything other than conversation. Unpleasant to shoot, doesn't pattern well and generally pretty poor fit and finish. I have no regrets about buying it, and I will have no regrets about getting rid of it. The market for either side lock or box lock coach guns is growing with the Cowboy Action Shooters. If you find one for a decent price, they are fun to shoot for a few rounds. I bought mine as a fun shooter/hang on the wall conversation thing, with the idea that a handy sized shotgun would be good for home defence. After thinking about it though, the 100% legal Coach gun would become a *sawed off shotgun* if it were ever described in court as exhibit "A". I switched over to a pump gun for the house, and decided to regulate the SXS to possible campground use.

Page generated in 0.03375 seconds with 8 queries