View Single Post
Old July 9, 2001, 09:07 PM   #12
grunewaj

Hey guys,
So far I just have an e-scale (PACT BBK II). I was getting frustrated with it and about to buy and expenisve beam scale to find out what was going on.
What was happening (someone alluded to it earlier) was when I weighed the charge, it would settle on a weight. Then after a couple of seconds, it would start hunting for a new value. If I let it, this seemed like it would go on all night. This afternoon, I just talked to a guy at Hornady and PACT about their e-scales (I think they are the same except for the color) and I thought I would share what I learned.
I think everybody knows not to run a fan or A/C when weighing something, but I didn't know to worry about flourescent lights. Also, when the little decimal pt. stops blinking, that is the measured weight. Anything before or after is garbage. I was waiting for the scale to completely calm down before reading the measurement. I was trying to map powder measure positions (I have a Hornady LnL AP with the micrometer powder measure) to weights and they were varying much more than I thought they should (like I know what I'm doing - I've only been doing this for a few weeks!). Now, in about 18 throws, most came in at 4.0 gr. most of the rest came in at 3.9 gr and one came in at 3.8 gr. I feel a lot better now.
Getting back to the point of this thread, a beam scale probably makes sense to have in case you are having a hard time believing your e-scale, your e-scale breaks, or the spirit moves you.
Hope this helps.
Be safe,
Jim

Page generated in 0.03221 seconds with 8 queries