View Single Post
Old March 6, 2006, 01:05 AM   #3
shooter429

Buy quality, American loaded, commercial ammo

Brands that I use: Remington, Federal, Winchester, CorBon, Hornady
Obviously, for consistency, it will be better to choose one brand/type of ammo and use that exclusively, but not a must. You should keep it dry and clean (tumble it too, if you want them to look and glide along like new). Keep all once fired ammo together and load/cycle it so that you can keep track of the number of loadings each lot has gone through. If you are loading within SAAMI limits, most cases will go, well, I have had .38s go a dozen reloads with little stretch or wear.

Conversly, Magnum rounds and high-pressure semi-autos like the .357, or 10mm will tend to stretch and fatigue more quickly.

The hottest loads for hunting, bear defense or competition, especially in the autos, which are more ammo sensitive than revolvers, are the ones to trim, mic, debur etc. for complete uniformity.

Plan to pay a little more to buy from the name brands. It is well worth the coin, IMHO.

I know a guy who bought thousands of rounds worth of ancient Berdan primed military ammo from Whereintheheckistan. Needless to say, the ammo was not only not reloadable, but it ruined the gun. The bolt rusted shut sitting in a closet. The bore was in terrible shape. So, my advice is: Don't buy military surplus or reloaded or white box no-name ammo, either from the OL vendors or shows etc.

Shooter429

Page generated in 0.03303 seconds with 8 queries