View Single Post
Old March 8, 2005, 11:25 PM   #7
MTMilitiaman

I agree. I've wanted a standard length beltless magnum for years. If such a thing as a beltless Holland and Holland exists, that would be great, but I have always thought it would be more practical to base it such a line of cartridges off of the modernized .404 Jeffery case, which seems to be all the rage these days. Such a cartridge line would be very similar to the Dakota Magnums save for the more common .532 inch bolt face made possible by a rebated rim as well as cheaper and more available rifles and brass. At first I was hoping that Remington would shorten their Ultra Mag line. Well, they did, but it was too short and they completely skipped the standard length action. My hope now is that Winchester, having taken the WSM case as short as it can practically be (and then some), nearly to the point of absurdity, will jump up an action length and create a line of standard length beltless magnums based on the same case. Such a line wouldn't do much that hasn't been done before, but a good case could be presented that no cartridge introduced in at least the last fifty years has really done anything too new and exciting. Ballistic performance might be on par with the Weatherbys, or exceeding the standards of their comparable standard length belted kin by 100 to 200 fps depending on barrel length, bullet weight, ect. But there would be no belt.

That said, I have a 7mm Rem Mag and have experienced little or no difficulty in loading for it once the dies are set up to headspace off the shoulder. My loads have always been at or near max and brass life appears very good. I don't do as much shooting as I'd like but most of my brass are on their 3rd or 4th load and once they are shined up, look and function pretty much good as new. I load Remington brass and am currently loading 160 gr Noslers and a max listed charge of RL22. I don't have a whole lot of experience loading for this cartridge or any other but I would say it is pretty much common sense--keep things sane and your equipment will last you longer.

Page generated in 0.02967 seconds with 8 queries