View Single Post
Old September 17, 2004, 06:37 PM   #34
tarheel101

Commercial reload blow up

I was shopping for some of the Korean 30/06 surplus when a dealer/friend recomended I buy some reloads he had from Talon. My first trip to the range with this stuff was with a Remington 74 semi-auto. Murphy's law and a short distraction and I committed a shooter"s big no-no. After pulling the trigger nothing happened, and that's where I was shortly distracted, Then I worked the bolt mannually and looked at the brass. It looked O.K. so proceeded to fire the next round thinking I had a failure to eject. You would not believe what a round stuck in the barrel will do. The receiver was bulged out and cracked at the barrel theads, the magazine blew out the bottom and rounds in the mag lost their bullet and spilled out the powder, which ignited and set the wood bench on fire. Fortunately my hands were on the rabbit ear bag and trigger but I did get a frag in my left index that is still there today. Mainly because of the intervention of my friend the dealer, Talon paid for a new rifle. I pulled the bullet from 12 unfired rounds from the 250 round box I purchased and found the powder charges varried wildly and two of the twelve had no charge.

Page generated in 0.02578 seconds with 8 queries