View Single Post
Old July 21, 2013, 09:07 PM   #26
horselips

Figure don't lie, liars can figure, and blah, blah, blah. Do your homework and you'll discover that in the real world of real people being shot by real bullets, it doesn't matter much what they're hit with. Maybe your odds of a one or two shot stop are a little better with a big bore heavy bullet, or super fast mid size magnum, but the inconvenient fact is that an astounding percentage of people shot once with a .22 are either killed or quickly incapacitated. Don't shoot the messenger. Thanks.

Velocity, foot pounds, penetration and expansion are like sports stats. We have all seen a football game where the team with the least time in possession, the least yards rushed and passed, even suffered the most turnovers and penalties, still beat the team that maxed out the stats. They just managed to score more points. Happens all the time.

If your bullet hits just right, you win. It doesn't matter much what caliber it is, jacketed or hollow point, wad cutter or round nose. So, what's the deciding factor here? Accuracy, or bullet placement, followed by luck. Luck? Yep. Maybe while you were shooting at your probably moving target he moved just right, aligned his skeleton just so, that when your bullet entered his body it went to the right place. Or it didn't, and despite the quality of your ammunition, you needed multiple shots to get the job done.

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy and in CQB there is no nuclear option. So, you practice, practice and practice some more, equip yourself as best you can given your finances, physique, overall health and wardrobe requirements, and if the poo-poo hits the oscillating blades, you do what you can and hope for the best.

Each day I venture forth, armed with my NAA Mini Revolver, .22WMR, with the long, way out there, 1 5/8" barrel. At self-defense range-7 yards or thereabouts, I can put 5 rounds in a 3" circle well inside of 5 seconds. Taking my time, I can shave a half inch off of that. Yeah, I practice quite a bit. Do I feel under gunned? Well, for an across the parking lot shoot out, yes. Against a lunatic armed with a modern sporting rifle? Sure, unless I'm behind him when I open fire. Am I the guy to stop a bank robbery? Nope. But for my intended purpose, I feel well armed and confident. The stats be damned.

Page generated in 0.02508 seconds with 8 queries