View Single Post
Old April 23, 2014, 06:29 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

an interesting test with my CCW...

yesterday, I happened to be carrying my Taurus TCP .380 ( I have 4-5 different guns that work the "rotation" )

MRS hasn't been feeling well lately, leaving me to do chores when I get home from work ( we have just a couple pigs, hens, the outside dog, & some farm cats )

I had just finished picking eggs ( MRS always gives me grief for not putting them in a basket, & just carrying them up to the house in my hands ) in my defense, if there are only 3-4 I carry them, if more, I use the basket...

as I was leaving the chicken house, with my left hand holding 3 eggs, outside dogie was barking up a storm, the "hey poppa I got a wild animal trapped over here" bark ( he's great at treeing coons, chasing rabbits, etc. ) so I divert my path from the chicken house over to the windbreak... where I find dogie digging frantically on a small tire pile I have as a 4 wheeler obstacle on the trail through the windbreak... I'm assuming it's a rabbit, which if that's the case I usually leave it alone, but peeking out of a couple tires deep, is a very large coon... so, with eggs still in hand, I pull a couple tires off, allowing better access to the coon, draw my .380 ( I prefer to use my 17 Mach 2 rifle, but the .380 is what I had ) I have to rack the slide ( I don't carry with one in the chamber ) pull the dog back a bit off the coon, & shoot the darned thing, before the dog jumps back on it ( again, all the while holding 3 raw eggs in one hand )

yes I was able to accomplish this... so I learned a couple things... I could easily cycle a round, & fire the TCP, if one hand were wounded... the lil gun was way past time for a detail cleaning ( I carry in a belt holster, but it's amazing how much lint can accumulate in a short time ) the gun functioned perfectly for a double tap into the coon...

BTW... was using Speer Gold Dot factory rounds, & they had no trouble effectively killing the coon ( you may be surprised how tough they can be to kill some larger varmints quickly with a handgun, especially after being all worked up, battling the dog )

I don't think I could have chambered a round in my 10 mm, without putting the eggs down, & might have had a more difficult time with my compact 9

sometime try chambering a round in your favorite CCW with 3 raw eggs in one of your hands

Page generated in 0.02638 seconds with 8 queries