Thread: What the hell?
View Single Post
Old August 18, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
skoal3

What the hell?

I have another post about this for anyone interested but I went out today to try out some new factory ammo and everything was going fine with the usual Remington core lokts and a couple Federal rounds so I tried out the Hornady Superformance SST, the newest contender for deer season. This is a Thompson Center Dimension in 7mm08, by the way.first one went bang, second one, click. I cocked the bolt again and click, did that about 3 more times and I finally took that round out and hid it behind a tree, the primer was struck on the first attempt but it failed to fire. Had the same problem on the next one or two rounds but I cocked the rifle again and they went off the second time. This is a new rifle and I know nothing is perfect but I hate to blame the gun, the firing pin hits the primer, what more could you ask for? I compared the rounds to others that did fire and it looked like it was struck plenty hard, the dent appeared the same. I also hate to blame the ammo, with the SSTs I had 4 shots under 2 inches at 200 yards, not sure how I managed to pull that off. I'm sure there is an issue with the gun/bolt/firing pin but I don't want to believe it, not until after hunting season anyway, then I can send it back to the factory. The question I have now is could it be the ammo? I know this is highly unlikely but I've had 4 or 5 rounds now fail to fire and they have all been Hornady, first was the American Whitetail and now the Superformance. I'm sure the people at Hornady have ammunition figured out by now but I kinda find it strange, I've shot over 200 rounds with this rifle and the only time I have an issue, it seems, is with Hornady rounds. I'm not trying to bad mouth Hornady at all, with the accuracy I get I love their products but what the hell is going on. Come on guys make me feel better.

Page generated in 0.02743 seconds with 8 queries