View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012, 06:08 AM   #7
WC145

Many smaller depts either don't issue weapons so officers must provide their own or allow officers to provide their own based on dept criteria so you can see quite a variety. Bigger depts generally issue weapons with few allowances for personally owned duty guns. Most, if not all, federal agencies issue weapons with no allowance for for personally owned guns. A lot of it has to do with resources and consistency with dept issued gear and support. It's a lot more cost effective to order 5000 model x holsters for model y pistol than outfit different officers with different gear, ammunition, etc. Also, if they're big enough to have their own armorer(s) it's easier to have them trained to support one particular brand/line of weapon.

When I worked for the local S.O. they issued Glock 21s but you could carry anything that met the sheriff's criteria if you could qualify with it but you had to provide your own weapon specific gear (they provided ammo). I carried an HK at the time and other deputys had 1911s, Berettas, S&W autos, 9MM & .40 Glocks, even a S&W M66. Now I work for a very small dept that doesn't issue any weapons or related gear though they do reimburse for practice and duty ammunition. I carried a 1911 for the last several years but recently switched to a FNP45 Tactical (still carry a 1911 off duty).

Interestingly, here in Maine, our state agencies all carry different guns/calibers - the Warden Service carry SIGs in 357sig, State Police carry HK45s, Marine Patrol carry .40cal Glocks (IIRC), with no allowance for personally owned weapons. They all use different brands/styles of holsters and gear. Imagine the cost savings if all of the state agencies were to settle on one brand/line of sidearm in one caliber, with the same duty rig. The situation is the same with long arms.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Last edited by WC145; October 25, 2012 at 06:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.02335 seconds with 8 queries