View Single Post
Old November 11, 2012, 07:14 AM   #166
Rifleman1952

Glen:
The Petit family case, in Connecticut, is one that still haunts me. It I remember correctly, the basement of the Petit home had an outside access door with a broken lock. The perps who committed this heinous crime, were able to walk right in without making a sound. I suspect gun sales went up in Connecticut, even to people who thought they would never own a firearm, after the facts of that case came out.

The Petit family horror was a worst case scenario, but according to the FBI, there were over 2 million burglaries in the US in 2011. Before going to bed, I check that the doors and windows are locked. I turn on an inexpensive motion detector/alarm and lastly, check my weapon.

Now, as it relates to this thread, the two perps in the Petit case were cruising around town, looking for victims when they saw Mrs. Petit and her two daughters. Often times, criminals select their victims in public places. I hate to admit it, but I'm a grey haired senior citizen now. That means a lot of criminals will categorize me as easy pickin's. My CCW is a small j-frame revolver, so there is always one "in the chamber". It took me about 3-4 months to get to the point where carrying a CCW was second nature and as normal as putting on a jacket or shoes. Even my wife, who is not exactly a "shooting enthusiast", says she is more comfortable knowing that I am carrying concealed when we travel.

Page generated in 0.02372 seconds with 8 queries