View Single Post
Old July 17, 2010, 10:22 AM   #25
JayCee

Some of you guys really scare me…

The glibness with which you talk about taking another human being’s life is quite repugnant to me. There is only one correct answer to this question: if you can retreat safely, you have a moral obligation to do so. And if your moral compass doesn’t lead you to that conclusion, consider this: your actions WILL be referred to a grand jury, and you will have to explain why you did what you did. You may be indicted, in which case you will be defending yourself in court, with the attendant press coverage and legal expenses. You may be convicted, in which case you might serve time in prison and/or on supervised release, and will lose many of the rights you take for granted, not the least of which is your right to keep and bear arms. Even if you are exonerated, you will probably lie awake nights wondering if you did the right thing. You will be subject to ostracism from the family and supporters of the person you killed, and you may face a civil suit for wrongful death, which, if you lose, could deprive you of everything you’ve worked hard for during your life. Even if you prevail in the lawsuit, you could lose your livelihood if your employer decides he doesn’t want a gun-totin’, trigger happy employee on his payroll.

I fully support the right to carry, but if you think it’s OK to shoot someone even if you can safely withdraw, you should seriously consider whether you’re carrying a firearm for the right reasons. As Peetzakiller says, it’s disturbing that that this topic even requires discussion.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan

Page generated in 0.02921 seconds with 8 queries