View Single Post
Old April 17, 2009, 02:35 PM   #58
Daugherty16

+1 to Pax

People too often forget what it was like to be a kid.

For example: I am now an upstanding citizen, responsible gun owner, experienced hunter, committed father, faithful husband and trusted Director-level federal employee. Yet when i was very young, I knew the precise contents of both my parent's dressers, closets, and office, had found the "secret" entrance to the "other" attic accessed in the back of my folk's BR closet, and found and played with my dad's shotgun shells 15' off the ground in a box in the garage rafters. My parents once found me, at 6:00am, in the neighbors kitchen eating their Cheerios straight from the box, when i was 2. I can think of dozens more without trying hard. Need i go on?

Anything I did, I assume my kids have too, or will, or at least could. My carry gun is always on me, or in the master gunsafe with his cousins, or locked in the secure box in my truck depending upon circumstances. At night? biometric safe - top drawer nightstand. Secure, but quick access.

Not only is secured storage responsible, prudent, and simple, it is also the law where I live. Besides the all-consuming guilt should any child (let alone one of mine) injure or kill themself with my improperly stored gun, I would have the added pleasure of an instant divorce, being fired from a good job, hefty fines, legal fees, jail time, and a civil suit. Oh, and permanent loss of gun ownership rights in America.

Kind of a steep price to pay, if you lose that bet that your kids (or their friends) will just "know better". I can't see the upside.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.

Page generated in 0.02763 seconds with 8 queries