View Single Post
Old October 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6

All true, but one of my most accurate 9mm handloads came with the Win. 115 gr. JHP with an OACL of 1.142" and a charge of Blue Dot too stiff to mention. You guys caused me to go back to my Lyman 46th and their #358345 is a very blunt SWC type that Lyman only loaded to an OACL of .997". Since the Max. charge produced 1339 FPS, it's probably best not to list the charge. In my much more current P&R III, they only used Blue Dot with their 147 gr. cast bullet.

I wish I could help more with some data, but to get Blue Dot to perform well with a plated 115, you may end up needing to be close to the bullet's velocity limit of 1250 FPS. 1200 FPS might be doable without a bunch of unburned powder. As far as jacketed data, the Lyman P&R III shows a load range of 6.8 grs. up to a Max. charge of 7.6 grs. that shows to be compressed and they used the 115 gr. Hornady XTP that produced 1189 FPS at 32,300 CUP with an OACL of 1.090".

If you determined the proper OACL for that bullet and your pistol and that OACL was a good bit longer, the XTP data might be usable at least to the mid charge level. A chronograph will really help if you know someone that has one. As you increase OACL you slightly decrease pressure and therefore velocity, It would be safe to use the XTP Start Charge, but where you end up should be determined by a chronograph unless you get lucky and the mid charge shoots clean and accurate. Only one way to find out!

Last edited by 57K; October 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.03599 seconds with 8 queries