View Single Post
Old January 27, 2010, 09:33 PM   #37
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, I religiously follow the safety rules at each and every range I go to, and expect everyone to do the same.

That's even when I do not like said rules.

My home range has a silly rule about barrel length. One has to have at least 23" of barrel to shoot, though they do permit youth shooters to use youth models with shorter barrels while under supervision.

A couple favorites here are 870s with ribbed, 21" barrels. One each in 12 and 20. Both are bird guns, with the 12 being the notorious Frankenstein and the 20 gauge the former YE 870 I swapped a straight grip adult stock onto. Neither makes that trip to PGC. Darn it.

And skeet is great practice for bird hunting. Better than trap,though trap is far from useless. Both are better practice when shot low gun instead of premounted.

As for the OP's query, I shoot whatever I feel like shooting, pump, auto or O/U.

Didn't try the Saiga I had here to T&E, but that was that barrel length thing only.

As for pretentious, the good trap shooters aren't. I know a couple HOF members, fine folks indeed. The pretentious ones are wannabees who think they can buy expertise when they get an Alfermann,Ljutic, Seitz,etc.

Top shooting, regardless of event, requires a certain maturity of self that precludes pretension.

One has to master oneself before one can master the game.

And while some trap shooters do crochety very well, some are also among the friends I treasure the most.

Heck, I've been called a curmudgeon more than once myself....

Page generated in 0.03567 seconds with 8 queries