View Single Post
Old March 6, 2008, 01:24 AM   #58
GWbiker

I was a supervisor at a state prison in Pennsylvania. Our state issued "Code of Ethics" manual which everyone had to sign for upon receipt stated, among other things, that personal weapons were not allowed on state property (parking lot).

A few years before I retired, one of my correction officers who lived in a very sleazy section of Philadelphia had his loaded personal gun confiscated by our security department. The CO with the gun had hitched a ride with another officer who was found with an illegal narcotic substance on his person while trying to enter the institution. We had a drug sniffing dog. A car was searched for more drugs and the gun was found. The officer with the drugs was later fired!

I was part of an investigation panel into charges against the officer who owned the gun. He attended the meeting with a union rep and produced police reports revealing that he had been robbed twice at knife point while getting out of his car at home. He worked the 2-10pm work shift. The gun was legally owned and the officer produced to us a valid Philadelphia County CCW permit.

Our security department insisted on a reprimand be imposed on him for being found to have a personal weapon on state property. We concurred on the verbal reprimand, at which time the union filed a grievance and the verbal was later reduced to a "formal counsel", which amounted to minor paperwork, which was soon shredded by persons unknown.

At that time, if every staff members personal vehicle, on any work shift, was searched for guns, probably 1/2 of those vehicles would be found to contain a loaded weapon. But under silly state civil service guidelines, correction officers who were threatened each day by convicted felons and/or neighborhood thugs were not permitted to have any personal weapons in their vehicles at work.

Page generated in 0.02770 seconds with 8 queries