View Single Post
Old July 9, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

You have a wide variety of choices. There are the Remington clones - both Uberti and Pietta make these models. Then you also have the Colt clones - 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy, 1860 Army. While not all are true copies - i.e. you will find 1851s that are .44 (the 1851 was a .36) - you have the choice of either .36 (Navy caliber) or .44 (Army caliber).

Stick with a steel frame if you can. Personally, I have had Pietta, Uberti as well as other earlier mfg. such as ASM (Armi San Marco). I have had no "issues" with any of them. I have had quite a few different '51 Navy revolvers - currently have a Uberti and am very pleased with it. I also have had Piettas - currently have a Remington in .36 - it's been an excellent revolver. Some folks have their preferences as far as makers - but then you find that as well with those who shoot modern handguns. It all boils down to what you personally like and what appeals to you.

I enjoy the .36 caliber but then I like .38 special as well in a modern handgun and for me, they are very similar. If you want a little more "punch" - then consider the .44s. I currently have a Euroarms Rogers and Spencer - another nice design and that is in .44. I find that I am getting more interested in shooting the .44s so I'll probably add a 1860 Colt Army in the future.

Just like you would do if you were considering a new DA .357 or a semi-auto, go to some places such as Cabelas or a LGS that carries black powder revolvers, look them over and see which feels the best to you. A lot of fellows love the '60 Colt - it's a beautiful revolver. For me, I love the balance of a '51 Navy. I also like the feel of the Remington but in my hands, I don't find it as balanced as a '51. Again, it boils down to personal preference, likes and dislikes.

If you purchase one of the steel frames in whatever model you like - whether it be Uberti or Pietta - if you take care of it, keep it clean, etc., it is going to last a very long time. Abuse it, and like any piece of machinery it will not.

I'm sure others will chime in as well. There are lots of good threads on this forum and plenty of folks ready to help if you have questions. Welcome to the forum and let us know how your quest is coming along!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03485 seconds with 8 queries