Thread: colt d.a. 41
View Single Post
Old January 3, 2012, 12:14 AM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Level10,

The term "rolled on" means that the markings were put on with a roll stamp, a common method for marking areas that would be damaged by too much pressure at one point, like on an auto pistol slide. The roll stamp has the markings on it in reverse and is rolled across the work under high pressure, but only a small part of the marking will be impressed at any given time. From a factory viewpoint, a roll stamp is very expensive to make and I can't imagine Colt making one for less than, say, 500-1000 guns. If there had been that many marked that way, we should know about them. So, I think the person who mentioned a roll stamp is in error.

More BTW: Colt never used the terms Lightning* and Thunderer (or Rainmaker for the .32) for what we call the Model 1877. The first two were advertising hype by E.C. Meachum, of St.Louis, a big Colt distributor. I have not been able to find a definitive source for the "Rainmaker" nickname; I suspect it was coined by a modern collector, but if anyone knows for sure, I would like to hear from him.

Also, contrary to some statements, guns for the two calibers are not identical except for internal dimensions. The frames and cylinders are slightly larger in the .41 caliber and a .41 cylinder won't fit in a .38 frame.

*Colt used the name "Lightning", but only for their pump action rifle, not for a handgun.

Jim

Last edited by James K; January 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.03529 seconds with 8 queries