View Single Post
Old June 16, 2013, 06:48 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...I would answer: To whom?
To the shooter.

In my example, a person who only intends to shoot from the bench can expect groups shot from the bench to provide meaningful results.

If he intends to shoot under field conditions then groups shot from the bench will not provide meaningful results because the shooter is the biggest variable under field conditions and the bench is intended to minimize shooter contribution to group size.
Quote:
I am in competition with myself but can leave the competitive world with others by the wayside.
Sure, I do a lot of that myself (although I compete more formally as well).

But even in my own (me against me) informal shooting, I still work to keep track of conditions to at least some extent so I can tell if I'm improving. It doesn't make sense for me to assess my progress in offhand pistol performance by comparing my current groups shot offhand with the groups I shot last time at the range from a rest to test different types of ammunition.

The groups I shot from the rest aren't meaningful to me in the context of offhand pistol shooting.

Just as the benchrest groups that the shooter in Kraig's post was bragging about weren't meaningful in the context of the match that the shooter was preparing for.

Page generated in 0.02467 seconds with 8 queries