View Single Post
Old October 22, 2009, 08:38 AM   #2015
carguychris

Quote:
Can I assume then that in general terms modern ammo in this firearm is a non issue especially as I do not think 22 ammo has changed since then?
Any modern factory .22LR ammo is safe to use in any K-22. The chamber walls and forcing cone are, in effect, ridiculously overbuilt. You will never damage it with any modern load.

However, the chambers in older K-22s are notoriously tight. The upside is that this makes the gun very accurate. The downside is that some cheap bulk-pack .22LR ammo has widely varying case diameters, so some rounds won't chamber easily, and these guns aren't very tolerant of dirty powder because even a little bit of dirt will cause the cases to stick. Consequently, many older K-22 owners (this one included) prefer high-quality ammo because it's usually consistently sized and clean. FWIW my K-22 Combat Masterpiece is happiest when it's firing Wolf Match Target / SK Standard Plus (same ammo, different box), Federal Auto Match, and CCI Mini-Mags or Standard Velocity.

Also, as with any .22 revolver, using lots of ammo with short cases, such as .22 Shorts, will cause a ring of crud to build up in the chambers and prevent longer cases from chambering readily.

Page generated in 0.02245 seconds with 8 queries