View Single Post
Old June 11, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1
WWWJD

1911: Tweaking the Extractor

Recently picked up a Citadel full size 1911. Shot it for the first time this weekend, and it totally beat the snot out of the brass. Case mouths looks like somebody lightly pinched them with a pair of pliers. I've read somewhere that this may point to a problem with the extractor. I found this: http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

I can get the extractor out, but how do I know when I've got it right without shooting the pistol? I tried tightening it up while I was at the range by pulling it out and holding it in a couple pair of vice grips. Went too far though, cause it starting failing to fully feed and beat the rear of the case head. Backed it back off a bit.. and was right back to what's seen below. It should be able to hold the brass in the slide...right? Here's some pictures of how it sits at the moment:

The brass, judging by the extractor mark see on the front of the rim, suggests that the brass slammed into the front of the ejection port.. but I don't see any evidence of an impact on the inside of the port... plus, these rounds did actually fully eject. Makes no sense to me.

Here's the position of the extractor, plus some light impact marks on the roof of the slide to the rear of the port... Is the extractor twisted?! Not sure how that happens; the firing pin retainer only lets the thing sit there one way.

More brass impact marks on the outside rear of the port? How the heck does that happen?

..and then another view of the extractor.

So... what do you think? Could a light load cause these same problems? Some of them wouldn't even pull the brass out of the chamber all the way. I was shooting a box of Aguila 230gr (came with the gun). I have a feeling that I'm seeing symptoms for multiple problems.

Please be gentle...

NRA Endowment FTW

Last edited by WWWJD; June 11, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.03436 seconds with 8 queries