View Single Post
Old January 27, 2012, 01:37 AM   #5
wittzo

That is a loaded question (har har )

I've always thought that some people used real BP in conjunction with synthetics usually when they were nearly out of BP but they were able to pick up some Blackhorn 209 locally. It won't ignite using regular caps or flint, so they would load half a measure of BP and use Blackhorn for the rest of the charge, so the BP would ignite the Blackhorn.

I've heard of the term "duplex load" for several different situations. The first was when I read about military projects where they loaded two projectiles in a rifle cartridge where they had two bullets stacked on top of each other, each weighed half as much as a standard projectile, so they would spread a little. The current .410 self defense rounds do that with the little slugs.

They have duplex shotgun shells for game loads where they mix large shot with small shot, so you get the punch of the big shot interspersed with the bleed out of the small shot. The buck and ball worked like that and some of the .410 self defense loads mix large birdshot with buck.

While they were developing .454 Casull and .454 Linebaugh, they would use two or three different powders to get different burn rates and more power, they called those duplex loads.

Page generated in 0.03196 seconds with 8 queries