Thread: S&W model 410
View Single Post
Old February 17, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
carguychris

I don't have experience with the Model 410 specifically, but I'm familiar with S&W 3rd-gen "Traditional Double Action" pistols generally.

Here's some info about the M410, copied from an earlier post of mine, with some edits.

The M410 is one of the "Value Series" S&W 3rd-generation metal-frame centerfire pistols. It's basically the equivalent of the Model 4004, with blued finish and an alloy slide.

Compared to the standard pistols, the "Value Series" had a straight backstrap, more squared-off slide machining, no RH-side ambidextrous decocker/safety lever, and a plastic guide rod, mag release, and sights. The backstrap can be changed by swapping the 1-piece grip from a standard 40xx/59xx-series pistol. Metal sights, a metal guide rod, and an ambi decocker/safety can also be retrofitted using readily-available standard 40xx/59xx-series parts, although I'm told that the decocker/safety swap is somewhat complex (and arguably unnecessary). Failures of the plastic guide rod are rare, but some owners complain that the flexible plastic makes it difficult to reassemble the pistol, as the guide rod is more reluctant to stay put in the notch under the barrel.

The "10" part of the model designation indicates 10rd capacity mandated by the 1994 AWB, but the pistol will readily accept standard 11rd 400x/404x-series mags; IIRC it was briefly sold as the Model 411 prior to the AWB.

Here's a brief summary of the good and bad points:

Pro:
  • Built like tanks- just as tough as a SIG P226 or Beretta 92FS, but cheaper
  • Low cost
  • Very reliable
  • Very accurate
  • DA trigger smooth once broken in
  • Very crisp and short SA trigger reset
  • Slide can be moved with decocker/safety engaged
  • Mag disconnect (YMMV)
  • 100% drop-safe in DA/safety-off mode
  • Decent aftermarket support
  • S&W reportedly still has plenty of parts and will readily work on these pistols
  • LE surplus mags are available for super cheap; several vendors are currently advertising 11rd 400x/404x-series mags for $10/ea!

Con:
  • Built like tanks- bigger and heavier than new tactical plastic of equivalent capacity (just like a SIG P226 or Beretta 92FS...)
  • May be uncomfortable for shooters with small hands
  • The slide stop is a long reach forward, usually requires a shift in your grip
  • Somewhat complex manual of arms due to decocker/safety
  • DA trigger can be somewhat gritty on guns that have not seen much use, and pull weight is fairly heavy with stock springs
  • SA trigger pull from rest (rather than reset) has ~1/4" of crunchy slack as various safety doodads are moved out of the way
  • Slide-mounted decocker/safety is somewhat awkward to reach, it is moved down for safe and up for fire (the opposite of most common modern Western automatics), and the lever(s) can literally be a pain while operating slide- I have a little scar on the palm of my hand to prove it
  • Stock plastic grip is somewhat slippery, and aftermarket grip selection is very limited because the 1-piece grip unit is complex in shape and incorporates the mainspring retainer (hint: a Hogue Handall grip sleeve is your friend)
  • Mag disconnect (YMMV)
  • Field-stripping procedure is somewhat of a PITA; slide must be manually held partway back while withdrawing or inserting slide-stop takedown pin, the recoil spring is not captive, plastic guide rod may make reinstallation of recoil spring difficult (see above), and 3 fiddly little levers must be manually held down to reinstall slide

Page generated in 0.03886 seconds with 8 queries