View Single Post
Old February 20, 2000, 10:36 PM   #1
Fusternc

I have been reloading for ~4months now and I have grown to enjoy it, however I am looking to speed up the production rate considerably. I have a Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit that I have been using since I started, and have gotten some VERY good reults with ammo I've made on it. Specifically, I have been using the Lee Challenger Single stage press that comes with the kit. At a good speed, I am able to make ~50 rounds an hour. I normally shoot ~ 300 rounds of .45 ACP a month and 200 rounds of 9mm per month. This has led to quite a bit of time sitting at the reloading bench when I could be doing other things.

I am beginning to think it may be time to goto a progressive setup, but to do so, I don't wanna spend more than $150 total for a setup. This pretty much rules out everything except the Lee Pro 1000 progressive. I can get it for $129 (shipped) from Midway.

Seeing as how happy I am with the Anniversayy kit I got for $65, do you guys think that I would be happy with the Lee Pro 1000 as well? I have read that it does have some problems with feeding large pistol primers, and since I do load .45 Acp, this is somewhat of a concern. I also don't quite understand how you can make 150 rounds plus per hour on the Lee, and have all rounds taper crimped, etc? On the challenger press I use, I have to "manually" crimp each round using the bullet seating/crimpng die by tightening the die by hand when each round is inside the die. How exactly do you get away from having to do this "by hand" with the progressive? Don't you use the same exact dies?

Thanks for all your help, because as you can see I am a progressive newbie

Nathan..

Page generated in 0.03299 seconds with 8 queries