View Single Post
Old December 18, 2000, 05:58 PM   #12
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

99% of my handgun shooting is cast lead. I use a mixture of wheelweights and linotype that gives excellent results for both castabilitiy and hardness. No problems what so ever with leading and some of the loads are well up there in velocity. My .44 Mag sports a 10-1/2 inch barrel so that barrel launches them pretty fast. Sometime, mostly for fun, I will "dispatch" a few of the "cottenheadedrattlesnakes" with either a 125 or 110 grain HP in the 6" .357 or a 180 grain in the .44 just to see the pieces fly, on snake shooting jaunts in the swamps in the spring, but mostly its cast loads. For deer its strictly a 220 Grain HP in the .44 Mag. Cast is a little dirtier due to the lube used but the costs are so low with cast that its a small price to pay. Cost per hundred .38 wadcutters is limited to the price of the primers, and 60 to 80 cents worth of powder, for a total of maybe $2.50 per hundred. Of course the powder costs rise a bit for the .44 Mag. but it is still very economical. (I forgot to mention that I am one hellofa lead scronge ...... never bought an ounce in my life ..... begged, borrowed or stol...........errr well lets just say begged or borrowed it all)

Page generated in 0.03382 seconds with 8 queries