View Single Post
Old August 3, 2014, 01:26 PM   #43
Captchee

Truly amazing , . If it were not for having to shape the back down to expose the threads , I would have to say ; pretty dam ingenious .

Personally I would have made new plugs but ?????

Ok so . Next thing I would do is looking from the breech end , look down into the holes and see if there is a face that the plugs you just took out , screw up against .
Some originals did not have this face for the plugs to seal to . What they duid however have was runout on the threads .IE the thread on the plug was longer then the thread in the barrel . As such the longer thread would distort and seal off . Thus not allowing pressure to escape down the thread and end up fouling and eventually corroding the thread

Since the plugs you just took out look to be much bigger then bore , there should be a face for the plugs to seal against .
This them begs the question ; do they seal ?
Maybe the reason the right plug wasn’t finished was because it wouldn’t seal .

So lets check that .
Start by cleaning off the face of the left hand plug .. Then we want to coat the face with inletting black .
For inletting black you can use candle soot , lipstick ,,,,, myself I just use a black sharpie marker .

Once you have the face all colored , screw the plug back in and snug it up .
Test to make sure your standing tree/ standing breech , fits properly .
Then you want to take the plug back out .
Look at the face of the plug where you colored it with inletting black . The color should be removed in a nice ring around the edge of the plug face . This is caused by the plug contacting the face inside the barrels . In doing so , sealing the threads .
Now repeat that with the right hand plug . If it also seals then we are good to continue with the mind that the plugs are sealing properly . Thus not getting the right hand plug to seal wasn’t the problem as to why it wasn’t finished .

Next I would look at the threads themselves . Specifically how much thread you have actually inside the original plugs , forward of the nipple hole . While its hard to tell you without seeing the actual plug first hand . There IMO should be at least 5/8 to ¾ of an inch of thread forward of the drilled nipple hole .
Also the thread should closely match each other . IE once you start the plug and you get a couple threads forward of the nipple hole , you should not have a lot of play . Thus by the time you get to the bottom , the plug should not be moving side to side at all .

Myself , if I could match the threads as well as the pitch of the threads , I would just make and fit a new plug. . You may be able to find someone who can weld the nipple hole closed . At least the bottom , and then re thread ??? But again it maybe easier just to make a new plug .
Again im not holding the piece , so I cant tell you if there would be enough material in the bottom of the old plug to make the breech of the barrels for the right hand barrel . Im sorry but I just cant say

Page generated in 0.02285 seconds with 8 queries