View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Dr_Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Towe

I do that sometimes. A recurring theme is that I have a malfunction or I can't hit anything. That part freaks me out.
I had one dream where I thought i was missing but then I saw red holes in the dog/lion/thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
Yes. It's normal, though naturally a bit unsettling.

Two things:

1) During training, you naturally get a bit of an adrenalin dump. The more realistic and engaging the training is, the more you will experience this. You can & should burn off the residual adrenalin with some exercise before bedtime. It will help.

2) If you do have a nightmare-type dream, don't try to shove it out of your mind. Instead, deliberately take some time the next day to reprogram your mind with a careful visualization of what you were dreaming about, right up through the scariest part that woke you up. When you get to the scary part, instead of visualizing failure, visualize success. What, exactly, would you do if your gun failed to fire? What, exactly, would you do if the criminal kept coming after you shot him? Think it through, then picture yourself doing those things and picture it working.

Sometimes, scary dreams are the subconcious' way of telling us that we don't really trust either our training or our equipment. If that's the case, it's a good idea to get a little more training or invest in better equipment.

pax
Good advice.

So far, the weakest link has been me, or what I thought was me. I had a dream where I was out with my dog and there were these lion-things (it was, after all, a dream) and my shots were hitting their intended targets (center of mas) but they were ineffective. I moved to head shots and that stopped the threat.

For what its worth, I've never had a equipment failure to speak of. I had a few bad rounds around the 700rd mark. But I'm just a tic over 3K now.

I don't normally have nightmare-ish dreams. I've had a couple where I was being chased by a Terminator, but that was loads of fun.

I'll have to remember to try and burn off that last bit of adrenalin at night.

And to Brian. I think back to when I was learning Chess I had a few dreams where would play King and Pawn end games in my dreams. I don't believe I had the same success as you though lol. My end game is weak

Page generated in 0.03470 seconds with 8 queries