View Single Post
Old April 24, 2000, 01:21 PM   #2
LongDuck

To answer your questions:

1) How hard is it to reload? I taught myself by reading through many load manuals and getting to talk with a few people who've been doing it for awhile. If you know of someone who is into reloading, it can answer many questions when they arise, or this forum is also an excellent place for additional information. Occasionally, though, it's nice to have someone look at your rounds to see if there's anything obvious that you're missing. For me, that was getting the right taper crimp - I played and played with it, but an experienced reloader pointed it out very quickly and my problems went away.

2) What equipment will I need at a minimum? To start, get a reloading manual like Lyman's #47th Edition and read it from cover to cover (even the load maps will help you understand how it works). The manual is your foundation for the future, and will answer many questions of the 'how-to'. After that, you'll have a good idea of what you'll need to get started for your level of commitment. For me, that meant a single stage press, powder measure, powder scale, calipers, minimum case gauge and components - your list may differ based on what you're doing.

3) Where is a good place to buy? MidwayUSA - free shipping, great service.
How about used? Only if it's a Dillon progressive - lifetime guarantee and built to last.
It seems like the good equipment lasts forever, and people move from single-stage presses to progressives. This is true. Most people who get the reloading 'bug' end up moving to progressive presses fairly quickly (I'm still 'single-staging' it, though!). The initial investment is much higher, and it takes longer to make your money back on the press in reduced ammo costs, but they are fast, efficient, and fairly trouble free, IME. I reload shotshell progressive, but all pistol and rifle rounds are done single-stage for consistency.

4) What’s the one piece of advice on reloading you wish you’d been told before you started? I thought I'd save money - I don't. I just shoot more. Most people say that there's a monetary cost reduction in reloading, but it's really just a hobby - an extension of the shooting sports that *starts* when you get home from the range. It's relaxing and scientific and lets you work with precision instruments and tools, which many 'gadget-guys' love. I do. I thought I'd save money as an added bonus, but you won't. For the reduced cost of ammunition to make it yourself, you're buying in bulk quantity, which lets you make ammunition for 1/2 cost or better savings - this only lets you blast it downrange faster knowing that it didn't cost you much.

You will, however, become a better shooter, because more practice results in better skills. HTH,

Page generated in 0.03792 seconds with 8 queries