View Single Post
Old July 24, 2005, 03:12 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Best indicates that Colt restamped the serial numbers on the butts of at least some older guns using the assembly numbers instead of the full serial number. (Assembly numbers were the last four digits of the serial number.)

I suspect this was necessary simply because they forgot to record the original serials before removing the butt markings, so they didn't know the whole serial number, but of course that is speculation.

Whether 1052 is the original serial number or was derived from the assembly number, there is no way to tell at this point.

If the revolver has the swivel and the 1901 marking, it should have the updated parts. Serial Number 1052 would not originally have had the cylinder lock installed, but that would have been put in as part of the upgrade. (There should be the end of the cylinder lock screw showing about 1/8" below the latch if the lock has been installed.)

I strongly suggest getting hold of Best's book (mentioned above), which has far more detail than I can cover here. Those guns are fascinating, mainly due to the endless speculation about them, and have been the "forgotten Colts" for many years. Perhaps with "a book" on them, they will attain their proper place in the collecting field.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02333 seconds with 8 queries