Thread: Bullseye gun
View Single Post
Old November 2, 2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Citizen Carrier

First thing I'd do is ask around in your league and see if anybody has a .45 they want to part with. You might find one already in match condition.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to want a stainless steel gun as a basis for a bullseye gun. I believe the reason is that stainless frames and slides just don't respond well to the peening and squeezing a gunsmith must employ to tighten frame to slide fit. Chrome-moly steel is best for that.

Perhaps others can back me up on that. I'm pretty sure knowledgeable shooters pretty much panned Colt's stainless "Gold Cup National Match" pistols for this reason.

I wouldn't go with a nickel-plated either. My wadcutter gun IS nickel-plated, but it was plated after it had been built and fitted properly. The nickel-plating merely tightened tolerances a bit more.

Sooo, I guess where I would start in your situation is not with the gun precisely.

I'd start with finding a pistolsmith. I know of a few local ones in Ohio that are good for trigger jobs, barrel fitting, bushing fitting, slide to frame, etc. You don't need to send it to Clark's and wait for two years to get it back.

Once you find one, ask him what he'll work on. If he's fine with working on, say, a Rock Island Armory M1911, I'd go get one of those. I wouldn't spend much money on the base gun itself. Maybe a used Springfield Mil-spec, used Colt M1991A1. Something close to stock USGI. You're going to be replacing some of the parts anyway, so why spend money on a gun that has extended this or ambidextrous that?

Find a pistolsmith that can do the work and work your way up from there.

My advice, anyway...

Page generated in 0.03264 seconds with 8 queries