View Single Post
Old January 4, 2006, 04:34 PM   #1
azredhawk44

.44 Magnum Garrett loads?

Warning: Hot loads discussed here.

My gun is a redhawk 5.5" .44magnum.

I have shot up to a 240gr LSWC with 25.0gr of Winchester 296 powder in a compressed charge from this gun, per the Lee loading manual. Also have shot same bullet in max H110 load (can't remember load off the top of my head, it was last year for H110 and this year is 296).

With 296, the case sticks on extraction and the primer is completely flattened. Signs of very high pressure.

I have extended my bullet seating depth so my OAL has gone from 1.600 to 1.625, and maybe it's just my imagination, but the pressure seems a little bit less. The cases stick a little less on extraction, but the primers are still completely flattened. Cartridge still feels very controllable.

Is it safe to continue extending the cartridge OAL by bringing the bullet forward little by little? Accuracy doesn't seem to be suffering, if anything it is getting better. Not sure if it's loading technique or just more practice.

And, if it is safe to continue extending OAL, can I increase powder charge, since I am working in a redhawk?

Can anyone cite a reference to "ruger DA's, Dan Wesson DA's, Taurus Raging Bulls and TC Contenders" loads that have been printed specifically for super-hot .44mag+P extended OAL loads that border on .445 supermag loads? Any good books out there that give me load data for super-hot .44mag data?

Page generated in 0.03055 seconds with 8 queries