View Single Post
Old April 19, 2012, 05:42 PM   #18
David Wile

Hey Mike Mat,

I started using RCBS case lube over 50 years ago with both rifle and pistol cases (before they had carbide sizing dies for pistol cases). I still use the same lube pad and same sticky messy RCBS lube for rifle cases. All pistol reloading was quickly changed to carbide sizer dies as soon as they were available since I hate lubing cases and then cleaning them.

Maybe 25 or 30 years ago I tried the spray lube for the first time, and sprayed the cases while they were standing in a loading block. I found the spray works very nicely if I made sure to get the cases covered fully, and it was easy to spray a tad inside the case mouths for expander romoval. The problem I have with sprays, is that it is too expensive compared to plain old, sticky, messy RCBS case lube. Accordingly, I did not use but a few cans of spray lube and went back to the regular lube on the pad.

When loading bottleneck cases in either single stage or on the progressive press, I lube them on the pad, feed them to either press with my left hand while operating the handle with my right. If doing a batch with a single stage press, I will wash the lubed cases in gasoline after sizing and depriming. When loading on the Hornady progressive machine, I take the finished cartridges which are still lubed, and I rinse them off in a 3 pound coffee can half filled with gasoline. The gasoline cuts the lube off easy as can be, and the finished cartridges dry very easily by rolling them around a bit in a terry cloth towel. Since you use mineral spirits, I am sure you already know how well gasoline and mineral spirits do at removing lube. No big danger involved as long as you think about what you are doing and where you are doing it.

After my cartridges (both single stage and progressive) are finished being loaded, lube removed and dry, I put the cartridges in my vibratory tumbler for polishing them. Again, there is no danger in cleaning finished cartridges in vibratory cleaners.

For someone who does not like sticky stuff, I have been using the same old sticky RCBS lube for many years, and I only ever had a few stuck cases with it in all that time. When I tried the spray stuff, I had a number of stuck cases until I finally learned to spray enough on them. Spray really is more convenient to me, but I hate to pay for it. I have also used Lyman case lube a few times, and it was pretty much the same as RCBS to me. I can also assure you the old RCBS case lube will work in the desert climate. No problem there.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Page generated in 0.03688 seconds with 8 queries