Thread: I get it now...
View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Skyhawk8

I get it now...

Ok still new to reloading. Have to say that I really enjoy hand loading my own rounds.

Now to what I get.

At first I was only loading 44mag with one powder type (H110) and one bullet (240gr Hornady XTP HP) type. Primer is the CCI #350. Making only the starting charge (23gr) rounds. Tested and they work great for what I do. I thought, ok this isn't bad.

So I decided to get another set of dies for the 45ACP now I have different powder. Oh wait I see two more powder types (2400 & IMR-4227) for the 44 to try different things. Oh and how about 200gr Hornady XTP HP.

Two different primers CCI #300 and #350.

Now we're off to the races.

Let's not forget the golden rule. If you don't feel like reloading don't.

I like to work through my brass in batches. Clean it all, then size and de-prime then flare the neck. Once all that is done then I can load what I need when I need it. I always wait to prime when I know how many I'm gonna make.

First issue. Running through flaring I was tired but wanted to get it done. Started to get ahead of myself and "PINCH". I pressed my finger. Ouch that hurt. So I stopped.

Second issue. I have plans on shooting next weekend with my son and some friends. Wanted to make up some different 44mag rounds. I'm a recoil junkie so normal/higher end loads are great for me. I wanted to make some lighter loads for the others. Here is comes...

I wasn't really in the mood for loading but did anyway. I got a tray of 50 ready, charged and started pressing the bullets when I happened to look up and discover that I was using the wrong powder. It was one of the magnum powders but was under charged by at least 4 grains. Soooo after seating 25 rounds it's time to make my first use of the bullet puller (the hammer) and take 25 rounds apart. Had to resize and flare the cases and put everything away.

I know "FULLY" understand what everyone is talking about.

For those of you who are like me, new to reloading. LISTEN to what people here are saying. If you don't feel like making ammo, Don't!

I still have to make a bunch of rounds up so maybe I'll wait until I'm a little more alert next time.

Page generated in 0.02658 seconds with 8 queries