View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Major Dave (retired)

Need "trigger job"...

on a Rem 870, to get good slug patterns?

Early this week I shot Federal Truball slugs thru my Rem 870 Wingmaster, using a 20 (?) inch smooth bore "Slugster" barrel. The 870 and the "Slugster" barrel are mid-70's vintage, so the barrel is a fixed choke, Open Cylinder, 2 3/4 inch chamber.

After zeroing the scope (a Bushnell Magnum Phantom 1.3 X pistol scope - long eye relief), I was very pleased with the 3 round groups at 50 yards, but not so much at 100 yards.

At both distances, the windage was only 1/2 inch off center, with only 1/2 inch deviation in windage for the 3 shots.

The elevation, however, was about 2 inches high at 50 yards, with too much dispersion at 100 yards ( 8 inches from highest hit to lowest hit) to come to a valid conclusion as to the "zero", from an elevation standpoint. However, the high shot was 4 inches above center, the low one 4 inches below center, and the "middle" shot was only one inch high of the bullseye.

So, my question is, "How do I tighten up the vertical dispersion"?

My "guess" is that the trigger, which is a standard trigger for a shotgun used primarily for birds/waterfowl, is not conducive to accuracy when trying to get rifle like performance.

Shotgun trigger is too heavy - about 5 lbs, perhaps; and doesn't "break like glass".

Am I right?

Do I need to have a gunsmith polish the sear and try to lighten the pull weight? Can that be done to a factory 870 trigger, or is it possible/neccesary to put an after market trigger (like Timney or Canjar) in it?

I'm looking for advice/opinion/experience input from the Firing Line Forums community.

Thanks, in advance for your response(s).

Page generated in 0.03122 seconds with 8 queries