View Single Post
Old January 26, 2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Dwight55

Para Bellum, . . .

I can understand the frustration of coming to your domicile and finding the bg's there cleaning you out, . . . but it is not a "deadly" situation for you until one of them attempts to attack you, . . . your property and posessions are in danger, . . . but at this point, your life and health are not.

Do a "good witness" phoning the cops and leave it there. You will have a much more peaceful life and attorneys won't make as much money off you.

Several years ago, a local farmer woke up to some teenagers stealing some of his stuff, and when he went out to see what was going on, . . . they came at him. His 9mm pistol he pulled out of his back pocket persuaded them to run to their car. He chased them and got close enough to put a couple rounds in a rear tire and stopped them cold, . . . holding them till the sheriff got there. They of course lied, saying he tried to kill them, . . . he was arrested, and taken away (so were the kids). It took several months and untold amounts of money until he was finally exhonerated and his pistol returned.

You don't need that trouble. And if burglars in your place are like burglars in our place, . . . they are thieves, . . . and usually cowards that know you are not supposed to shoot them, . . . and they will just run like the devil to get away.

In answer to your question though, . . . the distance of probable engagement should determine your weapon: 70 yards or less, I would go with the auto 12 gauge shotgun, but it would hold at least 6 rounds (my Beretta holds 7), it would have a shell holder on the stock, . . . mine is loaded 3 ea #4, 2 ea 00 buck, and 2 ea slugs. Beyond the 70 yards, . . . the .223 is going to be the superior weapon just for the reasons others above have mentioned (quick follow up shots, low recoil, like a Kodak camera, . . . "point & shoot"). I would get 4 ea 30 round magazines and tape them butt to butt and put on a halo sight. Leave the .308 in the shed for deer hunting or something else. It is not a weapon you want to engage multiple bg's with at the same time, unless you are committed to some serious, serious training issues and lots and lots of shooting with it. The recoil, follow up ability, restricted magazine capacity: all these are points favoring the bad guys over you. Two or three bg's with hand guns, . . . you and the .308, . . . you will probably lose that fight.

May God bless,
Dwight

PS: Those are some good looking weapons, . . .
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!

Page generated in 0.02434 seconds with 8 queries