View Single Post
Old December 1, 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
caz223

If you're loading ammo single stage, RCBS is what the majority of people use, if I had to guess.
I have a RCBS 9mm carbide die set, and it produces fine ammo, although I learned to set it up differently than 'normal'.
I also have redding, dillon, lee, and the modified lee dies made for EGW.
I think most 9mm dies size too far down the case.
If you look closely at the finished rounds they look different from factory ammo.
More like 'coke bottles'. I know they are supposed to be tapered, but certain configurations really exaggerate the differences, like lead bullets, 147 grain JHPs, especially paired with Lee's carbide factory crimp die.
I've experimented with all sorts of standard and non-standard configurations including 38 spl dies, multiple steps, tried different expanders, undersizing and oversizing, creating, covering up, and solving all sorts of unnecessary problems, real and imagined.

I like the new style dillon dies the most, but that's obviously from a progressive reloader's standpoint.
Bottom line if you're loading 9mm on a single stage press, almost any dies will turn out good ammo if you're making standard ammunition. When you try to solve problems by changing something, you make another problem. Pretty soon you don't know if the problems are solved, covered up, or a result of equipment, setup, or operator error.
RCBS dies are fine, as are Lee, and all the major brands.
None are perfect for every situation, but they all work fine for most normal reloader's needs.

Page generated in 0.03609 seconds with 8 queries