Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dave (retired) View Post
What direction did he come from?

How far was the shot?

How far did he go before he crashed?

Fill us in on the details, please.
My stand was facing NE. At about 445 (15 minutes before "dark"), I stood up and turned to face W and look SW, the direction I expected the deer to come. I was leaning against the tree watching and heard a noise directly behind me.

Looking over my shoulder, I could only tell "deer". As it went behind a small brushy area, I turned quickly 180.

Everything went nearly perfectly. He was angling away from me but there is a sharp ditch about 30 yards out so I knew he'd turn.

As he went behind a large tree, I drew my bow. As he came out, he turned 45dg and angled toward me. He was on his way up the very steep hill by now. I said "Maatt... Maatt" but he was having none of it.

Range finder said 17 yards where he was. I aimed slightly forward (an inch or two) to compensate for his movement and let fly. I actually thiught I was a bit high but it turned out not to be.

He wheeled around 180dg (3rd consecutive deer shot by our party to do this after I have never seen one do it before) and ran back down hill.

He got about 75-100 yards down the hill and was down to a fast walk when he went out of sight.

I whipped out my phone and told my uncle "Deja Vu anyone?" and then as I was posting here I heard a crash where I last saw him.

This is how steep the hill is... He was 17 yards, I'm 25-27 feet up the tree, the entrance and exit holes where almost level.

Turned out he was quartering toward me more than I thought. I wasn't worried about the angle because I shoot a Hoyt Katera XL with 55 ft/lbs energy and had a Slick Trick broadhead, a combo that will penetrate BOTH shoulders at 17 yards.

Anyway, I hit the front of one lung, nicked the heart, back of second lung and right side of liver.

Page generated in 0.02233 seconds with 8 queries