View Single Post
Old October 31, 2008, 03:49 PM   #59
Hondo11

I realize that a source for those specific stats probably doesn't exist. That's why I just threw out the 75% and clarified that it was just a seat-of-the-pants number. I think it's probably a little low too. It's pretty rare, respectively, for someone who's breaking into a house, garage, etc, to attack instead of running away. Even more rare is the one who decides to attack and has the ability to hurt you. And even rarer still is the one who decides to attack you, has the means to hurt you, and accomplishes exactly that.

As for minimizing loss or resources- you have to decide whether you want:

A. No injury to you, yet some property loss. (Stay inside and call the police)

B. Injury to you and no loss of property. (Go outside and the BG hurts you)

C. Injury to you and loss of property. (Go outside and the BG hurts you AND takes your stuff)

D. No injury to you and no property lost. (Go outside and not get hurt and BG takes nothing...OR...find some other way to deter them from inside.)

I think most people would take D and you can possibly accomplish that from inside as well as outside. You probably have a better chance of staying unhurt if you remain inside, but you have probably a better chance of deterring the theft by going outside. It's a risk/reward decision that can only be answered by the person facing it.

I'm not arguing that going outside is the RIGHT thing to do. I am saying that telling someone it's the WRONG thing to do isn't correct either. THAT's my point.

Page generated in 0.02375 seconds with 8 queries