View Single Post
Old July 10, 2012, 10:19 AM   #15
CS86

These are the things you normally don't want to admit because it makes you feel like that much more of a moron. I guess if it helps others then here are some things that I've learned the hard way in the last 6 mo. of my reloading experience.

1. As said before work with one bullet type at a time. Its easier to keep track of and lets you focus on the other perameters of that bullet.
2. With an auto progressive press (at least the Hornady LNLAP) there is only one docking hole that the depriming die goes. All the others will break your depriming pin.
3. don't use long cylindrical powder in a progressive powder dispensors for small .22 neck cartridges. It bridges terrible and can create a mess several times. With a progressive you have to clean under the plate every time you spill otherwise it won't work right.
4. as mentioned before. Keep those fingers out of the way and take it a little slower, don't get into a hurry. The design and pressure of a press can crush a finger really easy.
5. when resizing pistol cartridges make sure to set your FL die down far enough to get proper bullet hold. I thought I was all the way down and loaded several rounds only to unload them because the bullet would slip with finger pressure.
6. when you set up a new rifle round. make sure you bump the sholder back far enough, and test the first few unloaded cases in your gun. otherwise you may not get your bolt action down.
7. be generous with spray on lubes otherwise you jamb cases in your FL sizing die and have to spend extra time getting them unstuck. Don't pound on the loose decapping rod to try and get the stuck case out otherwise you will bend the rod and possibly the pin.

Thats all I can think of right now, If I think of any more I'll add them. Reading is essential. You can read and read, but it sticks in your head more when you do it. Reading can really help with watching for major things that keeps you safe. Some of the smaller things are a matter of learning the hard way IMO.

Page generated in 0.02213 seconds with 8 queries