View Single Post
Old October 8, 2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

A different take

Mike,

I have a couple revolvers that I do not shoot which I would not part with.

I have a belgian Centaure which I bought in a group package at a show for essentially 25.00 and then had reconditioned by a professional gunsmith (Thanks Wayne). I don't shoot it because it is too nice. It would not be for sale for twice what it is worth.

I have a Sheriffs model reproduction which chain fired on me and I now am spooked about this pistol. It is not for sale because I am afraid to let it out of my sight. I think the serial number of the pistol is "666"

I have a couple signature series Colts which I have not shot yet because, again, they are too nice. One .36 caliber I have shot and I don't like the way it shoots but I love the pistol anyway. I will probably break down and shoot these Colt Colts but even if I don't I would not part with them.

I don't think you have to feel bad about owning pistols that you don't shoot. I think the Remington style revolvers 1858 and 1863, and the open top Colts with the exception of the Patterson have such innate beauty that there are many who buy them not even intending to shoot them. I am convinced this is why brass framed revolvers sell like hotcakes. In this case though they don't fit Jimbob's definition of tools.

I believe that owning a Ruger Old Army that you don't shoot would be wrong, because; a) they shoot so well and b) IMO they are not all that pretty. You just don't buy an ROA to look at. It is Jimbob's tool in the truest sense.

My recommendation is similar to Zippy's. Acquire every pistol you can lay your hands on. And let your decision as to how you use the pistols be you business an no one else's.

Page generated in 0.02509 seconds with 8 queries